Safe Motherhood Alliance PNG
In Papua New Guinea the maternal mortality rate is 733 per 100,000 live births. That is an average of 1500 women and girls dying each year from complications associated with pregnancy and child birth. Thousands more suffer permanent damage to their health. The majority of these complications are preventable.
Safe Motherhood Alliance PNG (SMALL PNG) is a locally grown NGO championed by Dame Carol Kidu in 2009 as a response to recommendations made by the Ministerial Taskforce on Maternal Health issue in PNG.
Since then SMALL PNG has sought to increase awareness of safe motherhood practices, build alliances amongst organisations and advocate for change.
It is our mission to promote and facilitate a national and grassroots movement for safe motherhood that inspires action to save women's and newborns lives.
We work to see a PNG where the right of all women to be safe and healthy before, during and after childbirth is upheld, and a PNG where men and the community are actively supportive of women's rights to be safe and healthy.
Our goal is for safer child bearing in PNG.
Our Message: Our mothers matter
SMALL PNG will help to increase community engagement to make child bearing safer in PNG.
- We want to see more girls, boys, women and men that will;
- Have increased access to appropriate evidence-based information on sexual and reproductive health issues and services in PNG, including those related to pregnancy, childbirth and the care of the new mother and her newborn infant
- Be aware of their Rights to the Sexual and Reproductive Health services they want and need, including quality, respectful health care during and after pregnancy and childbirth.
- Support each other to access quality and respectful services they need to safely plan their family size and to space their pregnancies to provide maximum safety for mother and child
- Choose and access a health facility-based supervised delivery for each birth and to have the knowledge and skills to advocate for improved sexual, reproductive, child and maternal health services for themselves, their families and their communities.
- SMALL PNG will support political leadership to make childbearing safer in PNG by facilitating informed legislation, policy and decision making on child and maternal health.
- Support the PNG Parliamentarian Group on Population and Sustainable Development (PPGPSD) by providing Secretariat support
- Increase elected Members' knowledge and engagement in issues related to the Reproductive Health of their constituents.
- SMALL PNG will promote partnerships to make pregnancy and childbearing safer for girls and women in PNG.
- SMALL PNG will encourage expanded communication and collaboration between and amongst civil society, faith-based organizations, community-based organizations and relevant non-government organizations to advocate for increased community accountability and demand for improved sexual, reproductive, child and maternal health outcomes.
- SMALL PNG will support a common voice from these partnerships reaching their elected Parliamentarians' notice.
- SMALL PNG will advocate for these Partnerships to work towards increasing the visibility of minority groups requiring sexual, reproductive, child and maternal health services.
- SMALL PNG will share knowledge and foster learning about maternal health strategies and programs within the network and throughout the regional communities.